New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research prize
Congratulations to Willemien de Kock on receiving this year’s New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research (NZJMFWR) prize.
The 2016 NZJMFWR prize was presented to Willemien for her poster entitled: Flowering patterns for seagrass in Raglan Harbour. Willemien’s poster told the story of her research simply and with striking visual impact.
The award was presented at the closing ceremony of the recent joint NZMSS /AMSA conference held at Victoria University of Wellington.
Willemien has just completed a BSc (Biology) at the University of Waikato in 2015. In the latter part of her studies she developed a passion for the New Zealand seagrass Zostera muelleri. Last summer Willemien was fortunate enough to be awarded a Summer Research Scholarship by the University of Waikato, which allowed her to conduct this collaborative work with NIWA Hamilton over a 10 week period. The $500 poster award will be used towards travel to Scotland, as Willemien has received a scholarship to study for her master’s degree at the ‘Aquaculture, Environment and Society’ (ACES) consortium in Oban.
The journal awards this prize in alternate years at the annual NZ Freshwater or Marine Society conference and the award is for a poster that places emphasis on originality and presentation.
- The journal is currently in the process of appointing a new Senior Editor
- Andrea Alfaro, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- Joanne Clapcott, Cawthron Institute, New Zealand
- Kendall Clements, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Conrad Pilditch, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Bruce Robertson, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Marc Schallenberg, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Brian Sorrell, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Craig Stevens, NIWA, New Zealand
- Judy Sutherland, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Richard Taylor, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Ross Woods, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Aims: The diversity of aquatic life in the southern continents and oceans is of worldwide interest to researchers and resource managers in research institutions, museums, and other centres. The New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research plays an important role in disseminating information on field-based, experimental, and theoretical research on the marine, estuarine, and freshwater biology of the region.
Scope of submissions: The New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research is an international journal that publishes original research papers, review papers, short communications, book reviews, letters, and forum articles. We welcome submissions on all aspects of aquatic science in habitats ranging from lakes, streams and wetlands, to rocky shores, fjords and the open ocean. The journal places particular emphasis on Australasia, South America, Antarctica, and the Pacific and Southern oceans. The journal’s subject matter includes ecology, aquaculture, genetics, biodiversity, bioinvasions, physical oceanography, limnology, hydrology, aquatic biotechnology, and aquatic chemistry.
Prospective contributors should consult recent issues of the journal to see whether a planned submission is appropriate.
- No page charges for publication
- Free colour printing
- Articles published online before quarterly print publication
- Open Select option available for open access publication (gold OA)
Electronic and printed issues are published quarterly (B5 format)
Print ISSN: 0028-8330, Online ISSN: 1175-8805
- Read current issue at Taylor and Francis Online
- Subscribe to this Journal at Taylor and Francis Online