Explore as a

Share our content

RDF Frequently Asked Questions

Does the requirement that non-citizen applicants must "have continuously resided in Aotearoa New Zealand for at least three months prior to their application" mean the 3 months immediately prior to the submission date?

No, it means you must have spent at least three months continuously in New Zealand at any point.

What does "deemed to hold" a NZ residency visa mean?

Australian citizens are deemed to hold a NZ residency visa automatically without having to submit an application.

If I am currently on a work to residency visa, am I eligible to apply for the current round?

An opportunity exists to grant an eligibility exemption for applicants on a work to residency visa if the applicant has demonstrated (and the Society is convinced of) a commitment to Aotearoa New Zealand. The type of questions we would ask are: Why are you in Aotearoa? How long have you been in Aotearoa? What is your current visa status? Please send evidence of your commitment to Aotearoa to Rutherford.Discovery@royalsociety.org.nz for approval of your eligibility exemption.

How do you define "primary caregiver" when considering an eligibility extension for children?

The Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987 defines a primary carer as being one of the following:

  • A female who is pregnant or has given birth to a child (i.e. the biological mother); or
  • The spouse or partner of the biological mother, if the spouse or partner becomes the person with primary responsibility for the care, development and upbringing of the child; or
  • A person who takes on the permanent primary responsibility for the care, development and upbringing of a child under the age of six years who is not their biological child (this includes formal adoption, whāngai adoptionPermanent Care for Oranga Tamariki (previously known as Home for Life carers), and grandparents caring for their grandchildren - but not foster parents or respite carers).

If you feel this applies to you, please fill out the eligibility calculator and send it to Rutherford.Discovery@royalsociety.org.nz with an explanation of and evidence for the co-sharing period. 

I know there is a requirement that at least one of my three referees is an international referee. What if I can't find a suitable international referee due to being unable to travel due to Covid-19? 

There is a requirement that at least one of your referees is an international referee. However, early career researchers that have been unable to travel internationally because of Covid-19 AND can demonstrate that they were unable to travel internationally prior to February 2019, e.g. due to child caring obligations, may seek approval from the Society to not include an international referee. Please apply to Rutherford.Discovery@royalsociety.org.nz.

Can you please clarify what it means to apply as a part-time applicant? For example, I understand that I can apply at 0.5FTE. Does this mean I should be employed 0.5FTE or can I be employed at a higher FTE? 

If you are employed part time because of child-caring or other caring responsibilities, we can allow you to apply on a part-time basis. This is only allowed if you are employed part-time as well. If someone decided to take up the Fellowship part-time, there should still be 0.85 FTE committed to the Fellowship objectives. In other words, if you are a part-time applicant, then you need someone else to work the difference to make up the 0.85 FTE required, i.e. if you are 0.5 FTE then you need another person at 0.35 FTE. This other person must be a PDF or experienced RA etc. Please enter this person in your FTE budget in your application.