Te Kauhuahua – advisory group on diversity
In 2018, the Society set up Te Kauhuahua as an advisory group considering equity and diversity.
Te Kauhuahua means the horizontal cross beams on the bottom of a waka – they support what’s going on up top.
Terms of reference
- Te Kauhuahua will be advisory to the President during her/his term of office and be comprised of Council and sector representatives.
- Secretariat support will be provided by the staff-lead on diversity, noting that the steering group may request other staff participation as needs arise.
- Te Kauhuahua will produce a work plan aimed at reducing barriers to genuinely equitable processes and improve the participation of under-represented groups, with a primary focus on gender, but also consider intersectionality.
- Te Kauhuahua will monitor progress on commitments made in the Society’s Diversity Policy.
- Te Kauhuahua will report bi-annually on progress made.