Explore modern engineered landfills and energy parks with LEARNZ
Begins 20 March. Register now.
Ever looked closely at what you consume? How much do you know about the 5 R's - reduce, reuse, recycle, recover, and residual management?
Some of the 5 R's are a matter of personal responsibility and good citizenship.
Some of them are carried out by organisations who nowadays follow strict 21st century environmental practices on a large scale.
On this 2018 field trip students will find out more about the 5 R's when they follow Waste Management's Auckland operations that include recycling and Redvale, New Zealand's largest facility, which combines waste management and energy production in its landfill.
To prepare for this field trip, LEARNZ content will support inquiry into:
- The 5 R's of Waste Management
- The Carbon Cycle
- What happens to organics and green waste?
- Decomposition and methane gas
- Closing the loop - collecting methane gas to generate electricity
- Electric cars and trucks
- The environment and modern landfills
- How Redvale is using natural resources to line its modern landfill
- Restoration, sustainability and the life of a modern landfill.
Online visiting Waste Management's Auckland operations and Redvale Energy Park
12:00am Tue 20 March, 2018 - 11:59pm Fri 23 March, 2018