Māori Tourism TeachersDay
6 April | Piratahi Marae, Waiheke Island
This planned event will be brought to you by Service IQ, the Tourism Industry Training Organisation (ITO). This is a one day taster experience of the Māori Cultural Camp experience. The cost is $150 per person.
You will take the ferry Auckland to Waiheke return. You will receive a kete when boarding that contains:
- Waiata, karakia and pepeha prompts.
- US17786 Respecting Māori customs and practices student work book.
- US17784 Recite appropriate Karakia student work book.
- Cultural Tourism Student Camp flyers & exemplar of a week's camp activities.
The programme is:
- Bus to Piratahi Marae
- Pōwhiri welcome (response and waiata.
- Tour of marae grounds, whare nui and whare kai - Discuss Kaupapa, Te Kanga, Waiata, Kapa Haka.
- Morning tea.
- Gather knowledge (2 hours) Enjoy a guided walk through native bush to learn the traditional and medicinal Māori uses of native plants.
- Lunch at the Marae.
- Learn about the characteristics and uses of harakeke (flax) and weave your own putiputi (flower) to take home.
- How to run your own Māori Tourism event in schools affiliated with their own community's marae.
- Bus to ferry terminal.
- Ferry to Auckland.
CURRICULUM LINKS may include:
- Environmental Tourism Māori
- Manaaki Marae
- Tourism Māori Practices
- Agricultural and Horticultural Science
- Visitor Services
- Vocational Pathways
Service IQ, the Tourism Industry Training Organisation (ITO)
Piratahi Marae, 53 Tahatai Rd, Waiheke Island
8:00am Fri 6 April, 2018 - 5:00pm Fri 6 April, 2018