PLD session "Why learn about whio? "is now live.
The Science Learning Hub report that that the PLD session "Why learn about whio?" held on 11 May, is now live.
In this session, Shanthie Walker from DOC and Lyn Rogers explore why the whio/blue duck is so important to New Zealand, using the Department of Conservation Whio Forever resource to model a process of student inquiry into conservation. This session focuses on the habitat and adaptations of whio.
The new content provides ideas and information that will support teachers of any year level to:
- enhance students’ understanding about conservation education
- engage students in inquiry
- help develop students’ science capabilities.
This is the second of four sessions that can stand alone or be viewed as a series.
The first is Diving into inquiry with whio.
The next two sessions are on
- 1 June: Inquiry outside the classroom
- 22 June: Taking action for conservation