NewsPublished 19 May 2022
Seeking Associate Editors for the New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research
New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research is currently seeking energetic, qualified and committed researchers at any career stage to join the editorial team as Associate Editors.
The New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research is an international, peer-reviewed journal. It publishes scientific articles on all aspects of animal and pastoral science relevant to temperate and subtropical regions.
It is an official journal of the Royal Society Te Apārangi and is published six issues a year in partnership with Taylor & Francis.
To help us to build on the success of this journal and respond to the increasing number of submissions from across the globe, we are looking for multiple dynamic researchers to join the New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research’s editorial team.
Candidates should be active, publishing researchers and well-connected, both within New Zealand and beyond. We seek for our journal editors to represent the diversity of New Zealand researchers.
Candidates should bring to the journal expertise in one of the following topic areas:
Agricultural science, soil science, fertilisers, insect pests, plant pathology, weeds, forage crops, management systems, agricultural economics, agronomy, animal science, as well as interdisciplinary areas, such as land–water interactions.
The responsibilities for Associate Editor include:
- Manage the peer-review process for approximately 5 manuscripts per year in a fair, timely, and thorough way;
- Identify themes for special issues which you might also help to organize and/or guest-edit;
- Attract new authors and submissions;
- Submit some of your own work for consideration;
- Advise on journal policy and scope;
- Act as advisor in the case of complex publishing ethics discussions when needed;
- Promote the journal to peers and colleagues and represent the journal at conferences.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- An excellent track record of peer-reviewed publications (considered in relation to career stage);
- A good network of contacts within relevant fields in New Zealand and overseas;
- Research experience in relevant field(s) e.g agricultural, animal or pastoral science, with a doctorate degree;
- Interest in digital communication and publishing trends;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to organise, prioritise, and focus;
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline;
- A willingness to meet researchers on various occasions, learn more about them and their research, and help them to learn more about us;
- The ability to work cooperatively with fellow editors of the journal.
Term and Remuneration:
The first term of appointment will be 2 years, renewable thereafter by negotiation.
Associate Editors receive an honorarium of NZ$150 per manuscript handled, payable to either the editor or their institution, by arrangement.
How to apply:
Applicants should submit a CV and a one-page cover letter describing why you are interested in the job and how your skills, knowledge, and background would contribute to the journal.
Please send your application by email to email@example.com
The editorial team is committed to advancing gender equality and promoting diversity.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until 7 Hōngongoi July; therefore early applications are encouraged.