Explore as a

Share our content

Message from Society President – Dr Brent Clothier

Dr Brent Clothier shares his foreword as President of Royal Society Te Apārangi

Kia ora koutou Fellows,

Matariki approaches, heralding the beginning of new developments. As we cast our eyes back over the last quarter, Royal Society Te Apārangi and the Fellowship have been very active. There have been challenges, along with celebrations, and the exploring of new opportunities.

We hosted a special meeting of Ngā Ahurei Fellows facilitated by Dr Helen Anderson CRSNZ and Phil O’Reilly on 13 Paengawhāwhā April with approximately 150 online and in person. We have listened to the issues raised. And as a result we will, through our strategic planning processes, seek wide engagement. As I wrote recently to Fellows, on behalf of the Council, we will seek to establish “… our vision for the next 20-years as a learned society to address contemporary scientific, cultural, societal and environmental challenges whilst being relevant in an increasingly complex and fast-moving world”. We will start moving on this right away.

In late April, we hosted the Ngā Ahurei Hou New Fellows Forum, and it was inspirational to hear of the exciting research and achievements of Ngā Ahurei hou our new Fellows. Their presentations are available on-line.

Paul Atkins and I met with Hon Dr Megan Woods in early May, and we have now set up a schedule of quarterly meetings to continue our dialogue with the Minister for Research, Science and Innovation on a range of matters. 

We held a meeting of the Society's Council in early May in Havelock North, and we met up with local Branch members for dinner. It was lovely to reconnect after so long.

In late May, we attended a breakfast in the Grand Hall of Parliament to celebrate the centenary of the Cawthron Institute, New Zealand’s oldest and largest independent research organisation. They are doing some amazing work. And two of Cawthron’s young scientists are members of our Early Career Researchers Forum. 

Later that day, Royal Society Te Apārangi hosted the Prime Minister’s Science Prizes celebrations at Wharewaka. Another inspirational event, with the team led by Dame Jane Harding FRSNZ being awarded the supreme prize. Geoff Chase FRSNZ is in Jane’s team. Congratulations to all the winners.

As well, we been active in meeting with a range of people and entities, including Wakatū Incorporation and Plant & Food Research in Nelson. In addition, we have just attended the Board meeting of the Independent Research Association on New Zealand. Together we have attended two Zoom meetings with the International Science Council. I joined an online meeting with the heads of the Commonwealth’s 17 Learned Societies, and we have now written collectively to the Commonwealth Secretary-General to “… urge you and Commonwealth Heads of Government to take coordinated and equitable action to address climate change, biodiversity and other critical and related sustainability challenges at the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Kigali from 20–26 June”.

I look forward to working with you, the Fellowship, and the Society as we embark on new ventures after Matariki.

Matariki tāpuapua. Matariki nāna i ao ake te kai ki runga. Matariki hunga nui. Matariki ahunga nui. Te ope o te rua Matariki. Ka rewa a Matariki, ka maoka te hinu. Ka rewa a Matariki ka rere te kanakana.

Matariki is the star that signifies reflection, hope, our connection to the environment and the gathering of people. Matariki is also connected to the health and wellbeing of people.

Ngā mihi

Dr Brent Clothier FRSNZ
President, Royal Society Te Apārangi