Explore as a

Share our content

Message from Academy Chair

Distinguished Professor Geoff Chase shares his foreword as Chair of the Academy Executive Committee.

Tēnā koutou katoa, and warm greetings to all reading this short missive and update. I have now been the Chair of the Academy of Royal Society Te Apārangi for almost half a year.

In my last missive, I made reference to the, then, upcoming changes around our New Zealand research ecosystem. These changes have now started to become quite tangible at some universities in particular. While these changes will take place over the next 3-6 months, they also arrive in the context of a new government with new ideas on how the research ecosystem can best benefit New Zealand. In this state of flux, I will say, Royal Society Te Apārangi and the Academy Executive Committee are both watching carefully and have also contacted the recently elected Minister to see if we can have a discussion on how we can contribute, or provide advice and/or information. Our main goal is to try to ensure the research system that emerges is one able to benefit New Zealand, both now, and into future. I do not doubt this issue will remain a "hot topic" for much of this year or potentially longer.

As we head into summer, and hopefully the best of weather, I would like to celebrate a few events and people from the last 3 months.

First, we have a new President-Elect of Royal Society Te Apārangi– Distinguished Professor Dame Jane Harding FRSNZ will take over from current President Brent Clothier FRSNZ in July 2024.

Second, on November 8, 15, and 23 we hosted events for Research Honours Aotearoa in Auckland, Christchurch, and Wellington, the last at Government House, kindly hosted by Dame Cindy Kiro, the Governor General. The events saw us give out a total of 24 medals and awards, including 3 given by the New Zealand Health Research Council. Each event was very well attended, and, from what I saw, greatly enjoyed by all who attended, including some especially good Wellington weather, which as someone from Christchurch, I gather is a rarity.

Third, we hosted a Fellows reception before each Research Honours event, each of which had 10-20 Fellows in attendance. The discussions were open ended, and the Academy Executive Committee has received some excellent input. In each Forum, I did, as I will here, put forward a call to all Fellows, Members, and Companions, to please look about yourselves and consider whom among your colleagues, collaborators, competitors, and friends would make distinctive additions to our Fellows and Companions! Also, who would make great recipients of medals and awards in 2024 as well? A strong Academy and celebrating the research excellence of New Zealand, starts by, first and foremost, asking us to recognise and nominate the best of those we see around ourselves.

On behalf of the Academy Executive Committee and myself, and, I hope, all members of the Academy, I very sincerely thank you for all your time, effort, and input to date. I look forward to working with you all going forward. Finally, as always, my thanks to Marc Rands who continues as Academy Executive Officer and without whom much less would happen.

Geoff Chase
Chair, Academy Executive Committee