Information for RDF Fellows
Table of Contents
- Reporting On-Line guidelines
- Reporting On-Line FAQ
- Reporting and financial reconciliation templates
- RDF logo
- RDF FTE-Calculator
Reporting On-Line guidelines
Below is information on completing each of the sections of a contract report, using the electronic portal Reporting On-Line. Reporting On-Line is accessed via a login URL sent to researchers one month before their report is due.
There are three report types:
- Interim Report: This consists of a questionnaire on additional funding sought to be completed on-line and a brief report with sections for operational concerns, contractual issues, time relief and any other information.
- Annual Report: This consists of a questionnaire to be completed on-line, and which includes additional funding, publications, personnel, collaboration, publicity, awards, etc. There is also a research report which you complete on your own word processor and includes a summary, introduction, progress, additional work and changes to the programme of research. Once complete, this file is attached to the questionnaire.
- Final Report: This is to be completed at the end of your Fellowship.
- The full report consists of two parts: the questionnaire and the research report. The questionnaire is completed by answering the questions in Sections 1-n. The research report is produced using your own word processor, using a template that can be downloaded from page 0, Research Report.
- When the research report has been completed, go to page 0, Research Report, to attach it to the full report. After the research report has been attached, a PDF version will be created automatically.
- The full report (questionnaire plus research report) will be available for viewing once the research report has been attached and the PDF version made. Go to the Print / Preview page, select the report in the selection box, and click Preview Report.
- Previous reports that have been submitted with On-Line Reporting can be viewed from the Print / Preview page.
- When your report is finished, return to top page 1, change the status to COMPLETED, and advise your research coordinator. The research coordinator will check the report and release it to us.
- Once the report is released by the coordinator, no further changes can be made.
- Navigate using the menu box on the left. DO NOT use the Back and Forward buttons on your internet browser.
- Help for each section is in the Title page of that section.
- To get started on the questionnaire, work your way down the menu on the left hand side. On page 1, please list the URL if your research is featured on a website, so that a link can be added to the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship website. Click Edit, enter the URL, and click Submit.
10.To get started on the research report, go to page 0 and download the template.
Section 1 – Contract
The Contract details are displayed on this page. Once your report is completed, you are able to change the status of your report from work in progress (WIP) to completed which automatically notifies your research office. Please add a URL for your project website (if applicable).
Section 2 – Additional Funding
Please complete the table with any information concerning grants applied for or awarded since the last reporting period.
Section 0 – Research Report
- The Research Report page, 0 (Summary, Introduction, Progress, etc.) should be completed using your own word processor. You may use one of the templates which can be downloaded from the Research Report page, 0. Templates are available in Word, RTF, and LaTeX. Please ensure that you download the appropriate report type (Annual, Interim, or Final).
- When you have completed your research report go to page 0 to attach it to the full report. Click on Browse to locate the research report, and click Attach.
- Previous reports may be accessed from the Print / Preview page.
- After the research report has been attached, a PDF version will be created automatically. To verify that the PDF version has been made, refresh the Research Report page by exiting from the page and then returning to it (for example, by clicking Prior and then Next). The name of the PDF version will then be visible. If it is not visible, click Redo PDF, and again exit from and return to the page. If the PDF is still not visible, please contact your research coordinator or the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship staff.
Return to top
Reporting On-Line FAQ
How do I access Reporting On-Line?
Reporting On-Line is accessed via a login URL sent to researchers one month before their report is due. Any issues regarding timing of reports should be addressed to research offices or Rutherford Discovery Fellowship staff.
Where do I find the instructions?
Generic instructions are on the header page A Contract. Instructions for the individual sections are on the other header pages, B Popular Categories, C Sharing Knowledge, etc. A copy of the instructions is sent to researchers, when they are sent their login details.
Why can’t I download the reporting template?
The security settings on some Internet Explorer can prevent the downloading of documents from websites that are not “trusted”. If downloading doesn’t work the first time, it should work on the second attempt. However, it is better to carry out the following change to the Internet Explorer settings:
- Go to the Contract Reporting website.
- Then, on your Internet Explorer browser, select Tools, Internet Options, Security, and click on Trusted Sites.
- Click the Sites button.
- It should show the url to Contract Reporting in the “Add this website…” field. But make sure the “Require server verification…” is unticked (otherwise you can only add “https:” sites).
- Click the Add button. This inserts http://mfproposals.rsnz.org as a trusted site.
- Click the Custom Level button.
- Scroll down the settings until you get to “Downloads”
- Make sure that “Automatic prompting for file downloads” and “File download” are both Enabled.
- Click OK (and accept the MS warning when it flashes up). As mentioned above, these relaxed security settings only apply to the RSNZ site, so your security is not compromised. From now on there should be no file download warnings from Contract Reporting.
Why can’t I log on?
The server might be down, or there might be a problem with your password. Please get in touch with the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship office as soon as you can.
Why can’t I edit the questionnaire?
Editing cannot take place until Edit has been clicked. If this is not the problem, you may be using an incorrect password. Please get in touch with the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship office as soon as you can.
How long before the web page times out?
Half an hour.
How do I get a hard-copy of publications entered previously?
Go to Print / Preview, select your report in the top box, press Preview Questionnaire (A-E).
Should I include an entry for a conference presentation when the paper has also been listed as a “refereed conference proceedings”, or do you just want the one entry?
Just the one entry please, the “refereed conference proceedings”.
What about seminars?
There is no requirement to list them, but you can include them in your research report, if you wish, or in the “Other” category of Publications.
Should I attach the research report in PDF format or as a Word document?
It doesn’t matter, as a PDF document will automatically be created anyway once the Word document has been attached to the report. The report is attached from the Research Report page. If you are attaching a Word document, you will not see the PDF listed until you refresh the Research Report page by exiting from the page and then returning to it (for example, by clicking Prior and then Next).
What about LaTeX files?
A LaTeX template is available for your research report from the Research Report page. However, please convert your LaTeX file to a PDF before attaching to the full report.
Do I have to stick to the template?
Broadly speaking, yes, but please adapt the template if appropriate.
Can I overwrite a research report, once it is attached to the full report?
For a final report, what do I do about the financial part, which needs signing off?
Please arrange with your research office for a signed off copy of the financial reconciliation to be sent to Rutherford Discovery Fellowship Secretariat in the mail. It is up to you whether or not you include an electronic copy with your research report.
How long should my research report be?
The content is more important than the length. The “Progress” section of the report should address the findings, with a diagram or two, if appropriate, and be written for an educated non-specialist. As a guide to length, an annual report might be 1500 words, and a final report about 3000 words.
Full Report (Questionnaire plus Research Report)
Can I print out my report?
Yes. Go to the Print / Preview page, select the report from the selection box, click the Preview Questionnaire (A-E) or Preview Full Report (A-F), and then click the Print icon of Acrobat reader.
Can I download last year’s report?
Yes. Go to the Print / Preview page, and choose last year’s report from the selection box.
What do I do when I have attached my research report and completed the questionnaire?
Please mark the report as COMPLETED (on page A.1 or on the Print / Preview page). Depending on the practice at your institution, you may wish to advise the research office (although the research office will be able to see that the report is COMPLETED).
What happens to my report?
The report will be checked by the research office, and then released to Rutherford Discovery Fellowship staff. It will be read carefully by one of the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship staff, who will get back to you about it.
What happens if I want to change my report, once it has been released to the Rutherford Discovery Fellowship?
All is not lost! Please get in touch with your research office.
Who do I contact if I am having trouble?
You can contact Troels Petersen. Alternatively, contact your research coordinator.
Who do I contact if I have a suggestion for improving Reporting On-Line?
Suggestions are welcomed. Please contact Troels Petersen.
Return to top