Background and panel members
Background to report
The Royal Society of New Zealand established the expert advice panel to review and prepare a succinct summary of existing New Zealand information around the risks associated with recent and projected trends in greenhouse gas emissions, and the likely consequences for New Zealand in future decades and centuries.
This report was sought to provide a clear summary of the scientific evidence and projections of climate change and to identify key risks these changes pose to New Zealand, including as a result of wider societal changes and environmental pressures. It was not within the panel’s mandate to identify opportunities or responsibilities for addressing the key risks, but it is hoped that the information conveyed in this report can act as a basis for such a wider national discussion.
Climate Change Implications for New Zealand panel
- Professor James Renwick (Chair): Physical Geography Professor, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington
- Dr Barbara Anderson: Rutherford Discovery Fellow, Landcare Research Manaaki Whenua, Dunedin
- Dr Alison Greenaway: Social Researcher, Landcare Research Manaaki Whenua, Auckland
- Darren King: Environmental Scientist, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), Wellington
- Dr Sara Mikaloff-Fletcher: Atmosphere-Ocean Scientist, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), Wellington
- Dr Andy Reisinger: Deputy Director (International), New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre, Wellington
- Dr Helen Rouse: Resource Management Scientist, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), Christchurch
Dr David Wratt served on the panel from April - May 2015. David Wratt is Departmental Science Advisor, Ministry for the Environment; Emeritus Scientist (Climate) at NIWA; Adjunct Professor in the New Zealand Climate Change Research Institute at Victoria University; Adjunct Professor at the International Institute of Agri-Food Security at Curtin University, Perth.
The Royal Society of New Zealand would like to thank the following experts for the valuable input in commenting on and reviewing the paper: Professor Bruce Glavovic, Dr Paul Newton, and Professor Jean Palutikof.
The following review article provides some useful information about coastal adaptation: Coastal adaptation to climate change in Aotearoa-New Zealand.