Criteria for awarding Companions
View full criteria we use to award Companions
The award of Companion (CRSNZ) is an honour recognising outstanding leadership in science, technology, or the humanities; and/ or made eminent or sustained contributions to the promotion and advancement in New Zealand of science, technology, or the humanities.
Companion award criteria
The contribution must be significant at a national level, and beyond what could reasonably be expected from competent performance of their role for their current and previous employers. It must also be demonstrated that candidates are held in esteem by, and have broad support in the community or communities that are relevant to the nomination.
Outstanding leadership may be demonstrated by meeting some or all of the following indicators:
- Meritorious service and leadership within non-commercial national entities formed to address important national public issues,
- Uniting stakeholders around a common purpose to achieve beneficial outcomes in New Zealand’s interests,
- Undertaking a personal programme of activity highlighting an issue in a way that leads to its successful resolution in a manner that benefits New Zealand,
- Developing, building and delivering a nationally significant organisation, activity or programme.
Eminent or sustained contribution may be demonstrated by meeting some or all of the following indicators:
- Development of a national profile as a communicator trusted by the public within their discipline, or more widely,
- Procuring and managing the deployment of resources for public engagement to achieve demonstrated outcomes, for example in terms of improved public knowledge and perceptions,
- Role modelling of new approaches to working with the community, leading to changes in the way the research and scholarly community interacts with the public,
- Obtaining and deploying resources for delivery of nationally-significant public engagement programmes to advance community understanding of science, technology or the humanities
The award of Companion of the Royal Society of New Zealand (CRSNZ) shall not be limited in number unless directed otherwise by the Council.
The awards of Companion (CRSNZ) and Fellow (FRSNZ) may be held simultaneously because each focus on different achievements.