How to Apply for Falling Walls Lab New Zealand
Eligibility criteria and information on how to apply for Falling Walls Lab New Zealand
Applications for 2019 are now closed.
- WHEN: Tuesday 10 September 2019 in Wellington
- WHO: Up to 20 New Zealand-based applicants and up to two PIF nation-based applicants will be selected to take part in the event
- More information: Falling Wall Lab FAQ
Royal Society Te Apārangi, in collaboration with the German Embassy in Wellington1, invites applications from New Zealand and Pacific Island Forum (PIF) nation aspiring academics, entrepreneurs and young professionals from all disciplines to participate in Falling Walls Lab New Zealand.
 This program is additionally supported by the Royal Society Te Apārangi's Early Career Researcher Forum, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German–New Zealand Chamber of Commerce and the Falling Walls Foundation.
- Provides participants with networking opportunities amongst like-minded individuals
- Celebrates and promotes outstanding talents in academia and the innovation sector
- Promotes corporation and knowledge sharing across the South Pacific region
- Strengthens links between research and development across academia and businesses.
New Zealand based finalist will receive a contribution of up to NZ$200 towards expenses for return flights to Wellington (if applicable).
PIF nation-based finalists will receive return flights from their place of residence to Wellington plus two night’s accommodation in Wellington.
Lunch and a closing reception is provided for finalists and guests at the September 10 event. Additional expenses for meals, accommodation (in addition to what has been discussed above), visa applications, insurance cover (where applicable) and other costs are the responsibility of the finalists.
The winner of Falling Walls Lab New Zealand will be invited to represent New Zealand at the Falling Walls Lab Finale in Berlin on November 8, 2019. The winner's prize will consist of return economy flights from place of residence to Berlin and four night’s accommodation in Berlin (includes one night's accommodation covered by Falling Walls Lab Berlin) and a ticket to the Falling Walls Conference on November 9.
- Currently reside in either New Zealand or a PIF nation (excl. Australia*)
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Hold a degree or be currently enrolled in university (copy of degree may be required)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree which must have been received within ten (10) years prior to 1 January 2019 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2009)
- Hold a master’s degree which must have been received within seven (7) years prior to 1 January 2019 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2012)
- Hold a PhD which must have been received within five (5) years prior to 1 January 2019 (i.e. conferred on or after 1 January 2014)
- Hold a passport valid until at least May 2020.
- Be able to travel to the Falling Walls Lab Finale in Berlin should they be selected to participate.
* Applicants residing in Australia may be eligible to apply for Falling Walls Lab Australia
Download How to Apply guidelines
How to apply
The application process is in two steps. Applicants must be made to BOTH Falling Walls Lab Foundation and Falling Walls Lab New Zealand.
- Go to Falling Walls Lab Foundation application website
- Find and select "New Zealand"
- Complete the online form and attach your curriculum vitae
- Follow the links to submit the form and CV to the Falling Walls Lab
- Complete the Falling Walls Lab New Zealand application. This application has been generated using Google Forms you will require a Gmail account to access the form, free to sign-up if you don't have an account.
Applications for 2019 are now closed.
Assessment of applications and presentations
Applications to attend the Falling Walls Lab New Zealand are assessed by a diverse evaluation panel with representation from both academia and business.
In assessing the applications submitted, the panel will consider applicants’ motivation for participating in the event, the breakthrough factor of the proposed idea, and the relevance/impact of the idea for the target group. The panel will additionally ensure that applicants are being assessed in relation to their opportunities. In making its final decisions, the panel may also take into consideration the gender mix, organisational representation, and fields of research represented by the selected finalists.
At the Falling Walls Lab New Zealand event, a Jury with representation from both academia and business will judge the presentations. Presentations will be judged on the following criteria:
- Breakthrough Factor (how innovative is the proposed idea?)
- Relevance/Impact (how relevant is the idea for the discipline and beyond, and what is the likely impact)
- Structure/Performance of the presentation (how convincing was the presentation?)
Only complete and eligible applications will be considered.
Check out the 2019 Jury members.
|Call for applications closes||7 June|
|Finalists announced||Early August|
|Finalist arrange travel to Wellington, New Zealand||August|
|Falling Walls Lab New Zealand event||10 September|
|Falling Walls Lab Finale – Berlin||8 November|
|Falling Walls Conference – Berlin||9 November|
Contact usFalling Walls Lab New ZealandRoyal Society Te ApārangiInternational.Applications@royalsociety.org.nz