Code of Professional Standards and Ethics
Our Code of Professional Standards and Ethics applies to our Members
Under our Act we are required to establish and administer for Members a code of professional standards and ethics in science, technology and humanities.
The Code is to support Members to follow exemplary ethical behaviour and world class research and scholarly practices.
Given that it is in the public interest that all scientists, technologists and humanities scholars act ethically, professionally and seek to prevent harm, we make this Code freely available to those outside our membership. We welcome researchers and scholars, research institutions, research funding agencies and any other stakeholders in research or scholarly practice to adopt the Code or use it as a guide.
The commencement date for this version of the Code is 1 January 2019.
It has been redeveloped to:
- gives effect to our diversity principles
- separate what is advice/guidelines from what is actually the enforceable Code
- makes the standard by which complaints will be adjudicated as clear as possible
- include good practices in Māori research and engaging with Māori communities
- include contemporary good practice in regard to genetic technologies, materials and information.
The new Code includes a section on values and principles and a section on responsibilities and standards. There is also a separate interpretation document that sets out how the responsibilities and standards can be met.
The Code and interpretation is available in different formats:
- Overview of the Code of Professional Standards and Ethics: Download A3 poster
- Code of Professional Standards and Ethics: Download
- Code of Professional Standards and Ethics: Online document
- Interpretation of Code of Professional Standards and Ethics: Download
- Interpretation of Code of Professional Standards and Ethics: Online document
- Previous Code: Online document (for activities up until 31 December 2018)
ISC Freedom and Responsibility Portal
View the International Science Council (ISC) Freedom and Responsibility Portal for a comprehensive list of codes of conduct from around the globe to foster research integrity.