Read about the Manawatu Branch of the Royal Society Te Apārangi
Formed: 29 June 1904 (as the Manawatu Philosophical Society)
Known founding members: Kenneth Wilson, F Fairbrother, F Foote, R Keeling, C H Warden and F E Watson
Since its first president, Kenneth Wilson, who moved to Palmerston North from the fledgling Wellington College to open a private high school, this Branch has enjoyed a diverse community of farmers, teachers, engineers, lawyers and dentists on their Council, not just academic and research scientists.
Its members have been actively involved in the foundation of Te Manawa, the Fonterra Manawatu Science and Technology Fair, and the Branch’s first telescope can be found in the Manawatu Observatory.
Read more History of the Manawatu Branch
Become a member: http://manawatu.rsnzbranch.org.nz/